Don't Miss Your Pet's Regular Checkup. Here's Why
A common misconception among pet parents, especially in India, is that vet consultations are just an expense rather than a necessity. Not only does a regular check-up keep your pet’s health at its best, but it also helps understand and eliminate any further possible illness from befalling your pet. As a busy pet parent, one can easily get access to a veterinarian from the comfort of your home or wherever you are. Online veterinary healthcare solutions have recently made the life of digital-savvy pet parents really easy. Dr Shantanu Kalambi, Chief Veterinarian, Supertails, explains why vet consultations are really important for your furry ones!
Regular health checkups are important for a pet to stay healthy. A simple physical examination of a pet even via a video call can extend your pet's life. It could be a spot in the eyes, a mark on the ears, or even signs on the pet's gums — many of which can give away the existence of an ailment that might be uncomfortable for your pet. It’s a huge responsibility when you adopt a pet and every possible step must be taken to make their lives easier and comfortable. A simple 15-minute vet consultation can add immense value to the health and wellbeing of pets. This means understanding and observing certain signs that might be key in determining what your pet is going through -- physically and emotionally.
Dr Kalambi shares pointers every pet parent must keep in mind to ensure their pets are happy and healthy.
- Ensuring that your pet is not lethargic. In case you see a sudden drop in energy levels, there could be something wrong with your pet.
- Notice your pet’s eating and drinking habits. There may be times where they do not consume their favourite treats or don’t drink water. It could be a sign of an upset stomach or maybe something worse.
- Check for sores, loss of fur or even marks that appear on your pet’s body. It could be a reaction to something they ate, the weather or a change in their surroundings.
- Never pressure your dog into following a command. It could agitate them and lead to complications. Be kind, be a parent.
- Make sure you vaccinate your pet regularly and do not substitute supplements or medications unless prescribed or as needed.
From proper nutrition and preventative medications to grooming and mental stimulation, everything needs to be taken care of as a pet parent to keep your pets happy and healthy.
Being a pet parent involves constant care and attention. But in the end, just looking at their beautiful faces makes it all worth it. In fact, the same way you have check-ups for your child scheduled, your pet deserves no less. It is your child after all. If finding a vet is difficult, you can check with someone online and get a consultation. If it can work for humans, it can work very well for your pet.
Also Read: As Pet Hair Shedding Season Arrives, Gear Up With These Expert Tips