Karachi Terror Attack: Pakistan Stock Exchange Comes Under Gun and Grenade Attack, 11 Killed

Karachi Terror Attack: Pakistan Stock Exchange Comes Under Gun and Grenade Attack, 11 Killed

Four gunmen attacked the Pakistani Stock Exchange building in Karachi on Monday, killing four security guards and a police sub-inspector before being shot dead in an exchange of fire, media reports said.

The militants, who arrived in a car, opened indiscriminate fire and lobbed hand grenades at the main gate of the multi-storey building situated in the city's high security commercial hub as they tried to storm it. Two civilians were also killed in the attack. SSP City Muqaddas Haider said that seven injured persons had been shifted to a hospital for medical treatment.

Armed with automatic machine guns, hand grenades and other explosives, they tried to enter into the compound leading to the Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) building through a parking lot but security forces foiled their attack within the compound itself, Deputy superintendent of police (South), Jamil Ahmed said.

“Four attackers have been killed, they had come in a silver Corolla car,” Karachi police chief Ghulam Nabi Memon told Reuters.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Explosives, hand grenades and even food supplies were recovered from the bodies of the gunmen, indicating that they had come with a plan for a long siege at the building, an officer said.

Weapons and hand grenades have been recovered from the attackers.

Officials said that the incident took place near the main gate of the stock exchange, and surrounding areas have been sealed by police and Rangers personnel.

"An unfortunate incident took place at the Pakistan Stock Exchange," said Abid Ali Habib, Director Pakistan Stock Exchange. "They made their way from our parking area and opened fire on everyone."

Speaking to Geo TV, the Inspector-General Karachi said that the situation was under control and all militants had been killed in the attack. He said that Rangers and police officials had entered the building and were conducting a search operation.

Sindh Governor Imran Ismail condemned the incident, which he said was aimed at tarnishing Pakistan’s “relentless war on terror”.

“Have instructed the IG & security agencies to ensure that the perpetrators are caught alive and their handlers are accorded exemplary punishments. We shall protect Sindh at all costs,” he tweeted.