Here's How To Choose The Right Dress According To Your Body Type
The right kind of dress can either make or break your look so before opting for the right dress, it is important to understand your body type, say experts.
Bhavya Chawla, chief stylist at e-commerce site Voonik and Smriti Khurana, head of design for online shopping portal Lurap, have listed guidelines to choose the right dresses for each body type:
- Dresses for triangle or pear shaped bodies: With a wider lower body and a thinner upper body, pear shaped women should select dresses that draw attention to their shoulders and on the upper part of the body. A-line and empire line dresses work best for this body shape. Keep in mind to stay away from bodycons or peplum dresses that draw attention towards your lower body.
Also it would be smart to choose necklines like boat neck, halter or cowl that draw the focus towards your upper body.
- Dresses for rectangle shaped bodies: With a smaller bust and little or no difference between bust, waist and hips, you just need to add the right amount of volume at all the right places.
Ruffles near the neckline and voluminous bottoms are the way to go. Fit and flare or skater dresses would work best for your body structure.
- Dresses for inverted triangle shaped bodies: Wide shoulders than the hips, heavier bustline and inverted triangle shaped women should select dresses that draw the attention away from their upper body.
Flare the lower body is your key to dressing up and looking proportionate. Opt for dresses that have V-necklines and maybe sleeveless too. Then add the flare to your lower half by wearing a flared bottom dress or even a peplum dress which will work well for you.
- Dresses for round or apple shaped bodies: Women with bodies that are fuller around the tummy and have slightly narrower shoulders and bust, must opt for a non-clingy, flowing dress which draw the attention away from your upper body.
- Dresses for hourglass shaped bodies: You are truly blessed with proportionate bust, waist and hips. Anything and everything looks best on you. So flaunt your curves by wearing bodycons.