Sachin Pilot's 3rd Coup Attempt For Chief Minister Post: Congress Sources
Congress doors are still open for Sachin Pilot, sources said. (File)
This is the third attempt by Sachin Pilot to topple the Congress government in Rajasthan since March, top sources in the party say, adding that the rebel has been in talks with the BJP for the post of Chief Minister.
- Sachin Pilot, 42, may not join the BJP but his plan is to become Chief Minister with the party's support, the sources said. He has reportedly also thrown up the option of a meaty ministry in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government.
- The Congress believes Sachin Pilot, the Deputy Chief Minister of Rajasthan and also the party's state chief, has around a dozen MLAs with him - not 30 as he claims.
- Still, if the BJP does make an effort and go all out to overthrow the Congress in Rajasthan, it is possible, the sources fear.
- Top Congress leaders have reached out to Mr Pilot to persuade him to drop his rebellion. The party's door is open to him, sources say.
- A top aide of Congress president Sonia Gandhi met with Mr Pilot a week ago.
- The BJP has so far said there are no conditions to Mr Pilot joining the party.
- "Mr Pilot has raised legit grievances which can be addressed by the Congress," said the sources.
- Mr Pilot's supporters "can be given choice posts in the Rajasthan cabinet and corporations", the sources said, leaving it unspoken that the Chief Minister's post is firmly off the table.